With August comes a new set of challenges, we are feeling the summer still in full swing, but at the same time we are realizing that fall and winter are not too terribly far away.
Yesterday at almost noon our temps were in the high 60's! Almost unheard of for the last day of July in the South. It was lovely, and it does get ones mind thinking about the days to come.
A friend of mine suggested something last night. I thought it was a great idea, although it *might* be tough. I like a good challenge, though.
For the month of August, I challenge myself and you if you so choose,
to stay OUT of the grocery store.
Are you serious???
Yes, I am serious.
Well, what will we eat?
We will eat from our pantry
We will eat from our garden
We will eat from our freezer
We will eat from our fridge
I'm not suggesting ANYONE starve themselves or their family.
This is just a way of challenging ourselves to get real with our food and to see where we can cut costs and stay away from grocery stores that suck our wallets dry.
These are permissible:
- Farmers Markets, preferably once a week at most (this is a challenge after all)
- Local co-ops (we have a produce co-op that delivers twice a month)
- Local Farmers (milk, eggs, veggies, fruit, cheese, etc)
- Azure Standard
- Eating at someone else's home
- Decide a do-able money limit for your family and set that as your limit for the month (I know every family is different)
- Also, I know that like myself, August is a busy time for buying in bulk or buying to put by for winter. This is PERMISSIBLE, because most of the time you are not going to get these things at a grocery store anyways... But if you do happen to have an awesome grocery in your area that you find a fantastic deal on food to put up for your family... this is OK.
- You may barter or share with friends. Example: Friend 1:I won't make it all month with the amount of coffee I have available... Friend 2: I will give you some that I have to make it, or I will trade you some coffee for some zucchini. :)
So what do you say? Would you like to still provide great meals for your family and save a little money in the process? I know I do! Come along with us for the month and let's challenge one another!
I will try and post a weekly menu as part of our encouragement to eat what we have. If you blog, do the same! I think it will be a great way to stay accountable and to help one another along for the month!
TODAY is August 1st, so there is no going to stock up now on things we might want...
If you would like to participate, leave me a comment below!