Well, I had an idea and it was one that Shannon was on board with too. We just had to gather materials.
Eli handled the caulk gun.
We then rigged up some old flexible tubing that we found and ran it from the side of the hen house and down to the top of the barrel like a homemade gutter. It may not be perfect, but it helps to direct the rain a little more towards the barrel and with the barrel having such a wide mouth, we can catch even more rain.
Now, we can easily fit a short water hose to the spout and when we have collected enough water, our chickens will be able to be watered from our collection. Thus saving us some money and not having to feed our birds fluoridated water.
If you have something similar set up, let me know! I'd love any pointers!